Lauren Muney, CPFT, CHC, cWC
(certified physical fitness trainer, certified health coach, certified Wellcoach)
Fitness and Wellness Coach , Project coach, Marketing coach, Corporate Consultant.
"Why I coach"
(photo by Kristine Bulls, for "Woman To Woman" Magazine)
Lauren's specialty is lifestyle improvement and increasing "human performance" for personal, professional, and business endeavors.
From producer - to helping others produce
After earning a degree in design, Lauren Muney excelled in the entertainment industry for almost 30 years, as a professional performer, craftsman, and producer, developing interactivity, public speaking, and creative problem-solving.
In 2002 Lauren's career scope enlarged to assist others enhancing lives through assessment, awareness, and individualized problem-solving. Her experience with producing gave her the detail-orientation needed for coaching. She unrelentedly pursued education, research, interactive discussions, workshops, classes, and lectures to learn about human behavior in personal and corporate settings. Lauren was one of the first certified wellness coaches in the United States.
To the present day, this behavioral scope has included behavioral, anthropological, and physiological aspects of human performance on an everyday scale. She uses these experiences to help individuals and businesses communicate with others and themselves: she coaches in health, fitness, success-strategies, business projects, presentation skills, and marketing.
Lauren's experience as a special events producer has given her an uncanny ability to see the end result and then move backwards in time in her mind to envision the entire process. She then invites the client to make choices and go down new paths towards his/her vision. The client shines.
Guiding the client to produce his/her own success
Why such a large platform: fitness, health, business, plus other coaching? Because coaching is coaching, no matter what the subject: the methods are the same. The client himself/herself owns the power for his/her own transformation.
How deep is her scope of coaching abilities? Lauren is an adjudicator of coach-trainees gaining their certification in coaching, so she knows coaching from the inside to the outside. For years, she has focused on the elements of coaching which work - and which do not work. Although each client is different, each can find results he or she never dreamed possible without such accountability, assistance, and client-centered provocation. Asking the hard questions in a kind way is how to help clients overcome previous bounds.
By seeking our deepest values, we can make distinctions between what we need to improve and what we need to discard. As Lauren says, "Life is a series of course-corrections": this is very true. No one has to suffer with current circumstances when he/she can create longlasting improvements - sometimes in a whole new direction.
Corporate and small business coaching
Lauren Muney's work consulting to corporate and business personnel in "awareness" principles has assisted many to discover how to solve their own personal and corporate issues. The principles of assessment and awareness are applicable across the board in any obstacle. Corporate personnel will find these methods will improve business both internally and in profit-return.
She has assisted corporations with seminars, program development, project development, Powerpoint development, presentation development, facilitation, and other projects. (see below).
In the recent years she has assisted small companies for thir own innovative projects. Project coaching is to help the client create a project vision, and then create benchmarks towards that vision, overcoming obstacles, possibly adding new skills in the process. The client achieves what had previously felt out of reach, even if the coach isn't a local area. Coaching can be done over the telephone or even the Internet.
(At left: one of Lauren's coaching clients experiments with the surprisingly intimate qualities of webcam coaching. The big image is the client [as seen on Lauren's screen]. The client sees a big image of Lauren, as if she's in the same room during their sessions.)
Notable projects, past and ongoing
- Work with corporate consultation firm Circles of Clarity
- Directed health/pain-relief DVDs for Essential Somatics , released in 2011 and 2012
- Research and experimentation into non-medical pain relief theories and methods, through Hanna Somatic Education (Essential Somatics of Maplewood, NJ).
- Recent special clients include coaching health-related small businesses: values, goals, special projects, negotiating marketing concepts, even custom lessons in blogging, writing, editing, websites, etc.
- Participated in Harvard Medical School's first coaching conference, "National Institute of Coaching".
- Lifestyle Consultant to Goodrich Corporation through Whole Health Management, including producing Powerpoint lectures, writing scripts for employee-lifestyle-enhancement DVD videos, and was featured on the DVDs
- Created, developed, and taught the first peer-employee health-mentoring program for the Cleveland Clinic Foundation's Rehabilitation Hospital, Cleveland OH
- Consultation and collaboration with public health adminstrator, Dr. Richard Lewis, formerly of The Cleveland Clinic - now contractor to several health-oriented organizations
- Ongoing research into the elements of "change"
- Coach-trainnee adjudicator for Wellcoaches
- Collaboration with neuroscientist Dr. Stuart Brown of National Institute For Play (theories on 'playing' being the cure for depression, anxiety, psychopathy), edited a video for the Institute.
- Ongoing private fitness-, lifestyle-, and production-, and business-coaching clients
- Updated coach training using the most recent (and most results-proven) of coaching theories
- Business coaching and production for Seattle-based Exuberant Animal: play-based fitness company with a unique philosophy. Work included coaching marketing concepts, producing and editing videos, global community outreach, and producing regional seminars.
- Interviewed by Afro newspapers for article on wellness coaching
- Interviewed by "Shape" magazine for article about lifestyle coaching
- Featured on Adelphia Cable's "MBS [Mind/Body/Spirit] Television", shown in over 40,000 households in Ohio and the Northeast
- Worked with triathletes to integrate lifestyle health into sports training
- Additional coach training by Newfield, an integral leadership coaching method
- Interviewed for WebMD for article on Madonna's fitness
- Embarked on first book: [working title]: "The Zen of Fitness"
- Embarked on new project, series of articles: "No Boring Fitness"
- Selected as a featured blogger for Wahara Wellness
- Project-management, “Fit Over 40: Role Models for Excellence”
- Bowflex released its 2004 promotional video, which included Lauren's Bowflex client Donna McClure, a 50-yr-old grandmother
- Featured as role model in the publication “Fit Over 40: Role Models for Excellence”
- Trained as a Wellcoach, the premier wellness-coach-training organization in the United States, associated with the American College of Sports Medicine
- Selected as Merritt Athletic Club's (one of the largest club chains in the Baltimore region), first lifestyle-wellness coach
- Wellness and fitness newsletters
Education, certifications, programs
- BFA degree in design, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD
- Certified as Physical Fitness Specialist, Cooper Institute, Dallas, TX
- Certified as a Health Coach, Cooper Institute, Dallas, TX
- Certified as a Wellcoach
- Coaching training includes Coachville, Psychotherapy Networkers Conference, Newfield workshop
- Practical Examiner/adjudicator for coaching methodology for Wellcoaches, Inc.
- Member or past member: IDEA health and fitness organization, and National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), International Association of Coaches, Wellcoaches, DC chapter of the International Coaches Federation
- continues taking workshops and continous learning projects
- personal transformation from The Landmark Forum and The Landmark Advanced Course
Attended the prestigious Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Clown College!
Lauren's writing have been greatly embraced by many communities wishing health, wellness, solutions. This website's articles section provides insight into the varied processes of behavior modification, reduction of perfectionistic tendencies, and clear direction for personal progress:
- Contributor for the Association for Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums publications
- Creating wellness Powerpoint and DVDs presentations for one of the United States' biggest companies
- Cleveland OH's "Balanced Living" magazine
- Wahara Wellness coaching blog as well as Physical Mind's own blog The Physical Mind
- Society of American Fight Directors' trade journal The Fight Master
- outreach writing on online forums - fitness and athletic communities
- "Ghost-wrote" and edited articles for Fit Over 40: Role Models for Excellence (after conducting interviews)
- Assisted individuals or groups in proposals, including Cleveland Clinic's Center for Integrative Medicine (under the direction of Dr. Tanya Edwards)
- Website published articles
- Articles for top fitness sites like Tom Venuto and Amazing Abs
She continues to advise private clients internationally in-person and via telephone and Internet, as well as consultations to businesses.